walk beside Jesus
Children’s & Youth ministries
Cornerstone UMC is committed to showing children God’s love and grace through age appropriate lessons that help children apply the teachings of Jesus in their lives.
At our youth ministry, you don’t have to worry about who, what, or where you come from. Come as you are and come on out and join us, we’d love to get to know you!
We believe everyone can make a difference, even our littlest disciples!
Children’s Ministry Sunday Celebration
During the school year (August through May) we invite children to participate in Godly Play from 9-10am. Join us in “The Bay” which is the building nearest Immokalee Road.
The Godly Play curriculum engages what is most exciting about religious education: God inviting us into, and pursuing us in the midst of, scripture and spiritual experience. Godly Play teaches us to listen for God and to make authentic and creative responses to God’s call in our lives. The format of Godly Play mirrors a worships service:
- Welcome, building a circle and lighting the Christ Candle
- Story time based in scripture
- Wondering time
- Quiet and creative response time
- Benediction and dismissal
At Cornerstone, we believe that families should celebrate Sunday morning service and worship time together! We know that children learn from their families, and from their larger church family, so we encourage you to allow your children be present with you in church. We know that can be messy, noisy, and filled with the physical energy and movement children experience- and that’s ok!
During our 10 am Sunday Service, all children are invited to gather in the front for the “Children’s Moment”. This happens after the gospel reading, which is usually about 10:20am. All preschool through elementary age children then will leave the worship service for classroom time during the length of the sermon, which is usually about 20 minutes.
After the sermon, children will rejoin you for the remainder of the worship service. At Cornerstone we celebrate the Eucharist every Sunday, and we welcome children to celebrate too- Jesus invites ALL to the table!
Nursery is open on Sundays during the 10am worship service. Infants through 3 year olds are welcome to come to the nursery!
Serve in Church
If your child is in 4th or 5th grade, they have the chance to serve in our Sunday morning services! Whether they want to read scripture, serve as an Acolyte, or provide special music – being a part of the service is a great opportunity to further develop them into young disciples.
- Cornerstone Kids Fun! Every month we have a fun childrens and/or family event. Join or email list so you don’t miss out on the fun with Cornerstone Kids! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cornerstone Kids Service! Every month we offer our service to a local organization, or church, or maybe even a family in need. We put our faith into action by helping those in need. We believe Acts 20:35 I was a constant example to you in helping the poor; for I remembered the words of the Lord Jesus, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’
CORNERSTONE KIDS CAMP: Every summer we invite preschool and elementary age children to join us for a week of camp! Please email Bonnie to join our email list and receive details about Cornerstone Kids Camp dates and times: email@example.com
If you would like more information about our Children’s Ministry, please contact Bonnie Thayer, Director of Children’s Ministries, at 239-537-4554 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Cornerstone engage Student Ministries
Engage is our student ministry for middle and high school students who are in 6th through 12th grade.
We are…messy… beautiful… loving… caring… fun… accepting… and sometimes a little crazy… that’s us. We are a family. We love everyone, welcome ALL people, and all are invited to join us as they explore their own faith walk and where it takes them… No matter what baggage anyone has. Everyone has a story. Everyone has a purpose. Everyone is loved by God. And everyone is welcome at engage.
Core Ministry Focus
At engage we focus on the following 3 things each month:
- Service – Once a month we have a Service Sunday in which we serve the community, environment, church, person, etc. and share in the great joy of serving others as set forth in Christ’s example
- Discipleship – Twice a month we have a Devo & Discipleship Sunday that focuses on helping the youth grow in their personal faith walk and grow into a relationship of love with God and ALL people. We do this through study of God’s word, discussions about topics facing teenagers today, prayer time, and we end the meeting with a meal or snack around the table.
- Fellowship – Once a month we have a Fun & Fellowship Sunday in which we have a fun event or outing that allows us to grow in relationships with each other and get to know each other better. These relationship building events provide a great setting for youth to get to know each other.
We meet in the morning and afternoon every Sunday @ The Bay at the following times:
- engage Bible Brew Coffee & Devo – Sunday Mornings from 9:00 am – 10:00 am
- engage Youth Group Meeting – Sunday Afternoons from 4:00 pm – 6:15 pm
Please note that on our Service Sundays & Fun & Fellowship Sundays meeting times may differ.
If you would like any more information on the engage Student Ministries at Cornerstone, please contact Aaron Thayer, Youth Director at the Church Office at (239) 361-7114 ext. 1400 or email him at email@example.com.